July 29, 2010

Bringing home Mika



While my two travel companions are both snoring, I suppose I'll take the time to map out our EVENTFUL roadtrip to Elberton, GA!

Stephen and I decided we were both ready to take care of a dog and I have been wanting a doberman for a long time. Last month, I was looking on the Pets Inc website and found 3 adorable doberman pups (one in particular!) and had stephen call IMMEDIATELY to see if they were still available for adoption. Unfortunately, the man said they were all adopted and my heart sunk. I haven't looked much since then until this past weekend when I was thinking about the 3 pups again, envisioning the one who looked so cute sitting on an old quilt. I was thinking, "if only i'd acted sooner" or "if only i went to the actual shelter more, then I would've been one of the first to see the dogs." Feeling a little sad about missing out on these great dogs, I started my online search for a puppy again last weekend. And lo and behold...i found the same exact picture of the particularly cute puppy on the quilt! I thought it had to be a sign! What are the odds?!

My heart started pounding and i dialed the number without a second thought. A woman answered and I asked if she was still available....holding my breath, i waited for the worst answer. But she said YES!! I told her to send me an application at once. I had the application filled out and emailed (and faxed....just to be on the safe side) the next day. Turns out, her original owner lives in Lexington where brokendobe rescue shelter is located. They are an organization that places dogs with foster parents until a permanent home can be found. "Lacy" was sent to a little farm in Elberton, GA.

So today, my cousin Morgan and I drove to Elberton to pick her up.


When we parked the car, my heart sank. The following are just thought blurbs because the scene was that traumatizing:
-12 horses out in the pasture....10 more in the stables
-3 dogs running around outside with no clean water
-mangy cats lounging around the porch....one had no right eye and was missing a portion of her right skull
-smell of feces
-owner has lack of hygiene
-6 dobermans in the pens outside...2 or 3 more inside
-2 cockatiels in the house...can't see the bottom of the cage. covered in feathers and poop
-filthy house...pee puddles everywhere
-trash. everywhere.
-empty boxes of horse heart worm medicine on the ground...she has been giving the dobermans horse medicine


The one thing that lit up my face: my dog. I was walking towards the pen of dobermans and they all started barking and running back and forth. Not my dog. She was locking eyes with me. Jumping straight up and down and keeping eye contact with me...like...I KNOW you're coming for me.




Her old life will be left in the past along with her old name "Lacy." She did not respond to it anyways..never any one-on-one time with the owner, she had never been given a bath either...turns out, she loves them. Mika is her name now. And she is ours.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this story. I can't wait to move to our new apartment and adopt a pet! Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete